Tuesday, January 18, 2011

There's hope for us all; Primeval 4.02, Belated/Just Posted Commentary

This is called, ‘Let’s watch this again, because we can, and also do commentary because I say so.’ This watching may include, at points, phrases from my mother, phrases from quoththewriter , and random things that come because I've had no sleep.

Let’s begin.




So, this husband is a bit lame. Which I almost just typed as ‘lamb’, but we’re moving on, yes. I mean, who lets their wife get out of bed and continues snoring when there’s a creepy alligator like thing in your house?

And lady, if there was really a serial killer in your house, would a golf club really help anything? Let me tell you: no. No, it wouldn’t. Hole in one, lady. Hole in one.

“What the hell are you?”

Obviously, it’s a creature.

I’ve just got to say: good you really flush that down the toilet? No. You couldn’t. That thing has got to be the size of my cat, which you could not flush down the toilet in any way, shape, or form. Nor should you try. Warning: Do not flush cats down toilets.

Poor Abby. They should have been allowed to do that interview – oh, a mention of Cutter – together. And did both Abby and Connor get the ‘let’s wear clothes that make us look like smurfs’ memo?

Obviously, Phillip Burton is playing Tetris on his phone.

“Does dawn have a threshold, exactly?”

Oh, Lester. I do love you and your snark. Lester wins at life here for getting Abby a job. As well as for bringing their lockers to the new ARC. A moment of sadness for the fact that Danny’s old locker is there, and Danny is not.

Sure, Lester, sure. You brought them here because you didn’t want to see superhero action figures. That’s why. Let’s all pretend.

Points for Abby for not originally taking the job.

“Think of Rex.”

And also think of Sid and Nancy. Where are they? The little family isn’t complete without the two of them. Connor and Abby need to have Sid and Nancy and Rex.

“Out of trouble. Check.”

Is that even a possibility for Connor? As we’re about to see … no. It isn’t.

Irish people!

Commercials? Oh, I’m sorry, commercials, I don’t quite remember inviting you. Please leave the party. Thank you.

I’ve got to say. I love that this series is so much darker than the others. And – there’s this commercial where this man is snoring, very loudly. My mother thought it was a dinosaur. Epic moment of the day is epic.

But back to the series being darker. That they’re not just passing over the fact that a year in the past without any people is going to have a very detrimental affect on their daily lives. They’re not just going to be able to pop back into life without a few side-effects.

Becker’s look towards Connor warms the cockles of my heart. (The word ‘cockles’ just sent my mind dirty places, but we’ll very well leave that alone for now.) Oh, Jess. You really don’t need to be here. There is no purpose for you here except to be their damn HOUSE. Nobody cares about you and your need to be a cheap knockoff of Garcia.

Can you tell I’m not a fan?

Also, did nobody give her the memo that reading files doesn’t mean you know somebody? Because someone needs to be hit over the head with something heavy. Hey, lady from five years ago … still got that golf club? I’ve got a head that needs BANGING.

Abby here, poor girl. And the poor animals being locked up in the cages like that. Somebody needs to send those babies back home. Except for Rex, who should be allowed to go back to whatever flat Abby and Connor finally get.

You can see in her eyes here, that she hates how these animlas are being taken care of. The mammoth is pacing.

Oh, Rex. Of course he missed you, Abby. You’re his MOMMEH. “Chin up.” Same goes for you, Abby.

.. that’s just creepy, Matt. You’re watching her. Do you realize that?

Hey look, it’s a flag of flesh! Anybody fancy a snack?

And welcome to Jess’ very impossible abode. Fit with new theme song music. The girl’s nineteen. There’s no way. There’s no way that’s just an independent income. I mean, maybe If she had a flat that large but there wasn’t anything in it, really … well, I could see that. But there isn’t.

Also, how does Matt get back there before Abby leaves the menagerie?

“Becker says you’re brilliant with animals.”
“When they’re not trying to eat me.”

I do love the way that she says that. It makes me laugh every time. (Current count of watching this: this would be the third time. NO I DON’T CARE. GO AWAY.)

That means Becker was praising her, which is adorable. I love their relationship, which I definitely see as this little brother/sister thing. Because Becker fancies Danny, and vice versa, and he goes home every night crying because Danny isn’t home yet. This is what happens in my head. I thought I’d share.

Oh, hi Matt Smith. Mind coming to my house and being in my bed?

I CAN HAS THE DOCTOR NOW?

“Why let something like erectile dysfunction get in your way?”

I don’t know. Why don’t we ask Gideon?

Gideon needs to seek help for an erection lasting more than four hours.

(First person to write a fic about that gets a virtual gold star.)

(Kidding. Maybe.)

(Points if you mention plants.)

There’s a commercial for a Bond movie. BEN MANSFIELD FOR BOND. Just putting that out there.

Jess has four phones. Who in their right mind needs four phones?

“No entry to unauthorized persons.”

Don’t worry, Connor’s ID is his face. (Can you tell I’ve watched this too many times? No? Oh, I wasn’t actually asking for an opinion on the matter.)

I’ve got to say, I love that they’ve brought Duncan back. I don’t particularly care for Duncan, but I love that we get to see the old Connor mixed in with the new Connor.

There’s a dinosaur on his door, and a lost cat poster on his board.

One day, this is what my wall is going to look like – covered in post-it notes of plot notes. Oh, the life of a writer …

“Oh, Duncan.”
“It’s not mine!”

… are you sure about that, Duncan?

Poor Duncan, though. He’s gone through a lot of shit (… ha, that’s ironic) since Tom has died. I do feel bad for him, even though I don’t like him.

“What happened to you?”
“You did, Connor. You happened to me.”

Well, isn’t that just a punch in the gut? Now Connor feels responsible for this.

I’ve gotta say, this makes me want to run around with walkie talkies.

No, Connor, you wouldn’t know about it – because this anomaly was before you had even built a detector.

I feel bad for Connor. Not that he hasn’t seen worse … but I do love the way that he handles Duncan here. “Seen it? Good.”

Though the fact that the two of them are barely bothered by a mangled body means a lot, psychological wise. It means they’ve had to have seen some pretty disgusting things in their time in the cretaceous. They’ve been desensitized.

Please hold as Jess points out a plotpoint for later on. Alarms going off if someone unauthorized uses the system. How many episodes do you think we give it before the alarm goes off?

“Bring me back some chocolate. Nothing with orange in it, though. That’s just weird.”

“Matt’s acting strange.”
“Really? In what way?”

“The personal bits, I mean. Nothing about wives or girlfriends or boyfriends… anything like that. And if you did have one of those things it would probably be a girlfriend, rather than the other options, wouldn’t it?”

No, actually. His boyfriend’s name is Danny Quinn.

I swear, in my head, Becker is now CANON GAY. I CAN HAS CANON GAY BECKER NAO?

He didn’t answer. Not answering is always an answer. And then he says her full name instead of just “jess”, which means so much as well. Like, jess. The answer to that question is slapping you in the face. Violently. With claws and fangs. It’s screaming, ‘The answer to that question is BOYFRIEND.’

“Are you like, his girlfriend now?”
“Yeah.”
“Wow… there’s hope for us all!”

And Abby takes it all in stride.

Oh, you know, mangled mangled, where do you want to go for dinner? /desensitized

“I don’t know, Jess. Perhaps he’s buying a boat.”

BECKER I LOVE YOU. Marry me and have my children.

“Blondie, go home. And take your uh, boyfriends with you.”

… no words for that one, really. Except that one of my nicknames is blondie (read: I am brunette.) and that line gets me every time.

And that’s what you get, irish dockworker, for not listening to Connor Temple.

Is it a prerequisite to lead the ARC team that you must have insane driving skills? Gotta say, though, Danny still takes the cake on that one.

Little tiny dinosaur isn’t so little and tiny anymore, is he?

Now, I wonder if this lends any truth to what they say about New York City’s sewer system… quick, ARC team, we’ve got a problem in the big apple!

I love all the little moments between Connor and Abby. Like them grabbing hands right there. So glad they finally got over themselves after FIVE YEARS.

Props to quoththewriter, by the way, for making me see Dave Matthews every time I look at Matt. Dave Matthews can have a hot irish brother? Sure, why not.

“Jess, okay, you, brilliant.”

He’s appeasing her, obviously.

I’d love to see how Abby managed to take control of that boat. (I’m sure Connor would, too.)

And Abby is being daring and stupid, and also taking control of a boat.

I actually like her hair back like that. It looks rather nice.

Jaws music! Dun dun … dun dun dun dun. (I am deathly afraid of sharks, and I thought that would be worth mentioning.)

(My computer decided to switch my language to French, because I typed out the jaws music there. Thought that one was worth mentioning.)

“Hi! I’m going to randomly run up here and point out a dangerous creature on your boat and you’re going to listen to me because I used to be on S Club 7.” /what really happened there.

“I’m working out my notice!”

Oh, Connor. How I love you.

Also, watching this four times and I’d always thought the guy was welding while dead. Yeah, don’t ask.

“Sorry I’m late. Caught every red light.”

You also caught a case of WINNING PERSONALITY. Booyah.

“This is the episode where Becker proves he’s gay. BANG.”

Yeah, Primeval watching parties are always fun. Would you call me a two year old if I mentioned I definitely have dinosaur oatmeal?

Becker, as much as I love you, you might want to be a bit more careful next time you try to load dangerous dinos into a crate and lift them into the air.

“I don’t WORK for the ARC, remember?”

Connor is so bitter here – and rightfully so.

I love that Becker now has to run down the boat.

Duncan, you’re an idiot.

Matt holding Abby back though is … adorable, and also annoying because I don’t like that he’s giving her orders.

IM CONNOR TEMPLE. IM GOING TO RUN AROUND IN TIGHT JEANS AND CALL FOR MY FRIENDS AND ALSO TRY NOT TO GET EATEN.

“This creature sees an infra-red.”



“How?”

Well, Abby, he’s actually from the future. That’s how. Has nobody told you?

Becker signaling to his team was rather hot. Don’t ask me why.

This is the first time I’m watching this with my mother in the room. She makes the most epic commentary. It’s hilarious, really.

Time for the SF moron of the day to shoot the gun in between metal containers and then get eaten! Ever try listening, my dear? Or is that a trait your team denies the existence of?

“And what about you?”
‘I’ll be fine. Hopefully.”

Connor, your optimism is cheering.

Connor and Abby will now work together and generally be adorable.

“Well, I don’t see it.”

Becker only believes what he sees.

“It’s on top of him! What is he, stupid?” – My mother. No, Mom, Becker isn’t stupid. He’s just adorable.

“Hey. We can’t get them all back home.” Aw, Matt.

“Where’s Duncan?”

“Yes, um, I know he’s definitely in a green container.”

Have fun, guys. The look on Abby’s face definitely says ‘Alright, Conn. Let’s go.’ In a long suffering sort of way. Try using the walkie talkie, Connor.

Another Bond commercial. Once again, with feeling- BEN MANSFIELD FOR BOND!

Jess doesn’t look happy when Matt brings up letting them stay. She looks rather pissed off, actually. I’ve got my mind set on her being the evil one out of the group. And she definitely presses a button very angrily right there, with a tight-lipped expression on.

Love the way Connor says “WHAT?” to Duncan. He’s definitely the kindest person, ever. /my two cents

“Do I get a special badge?”
“No…. I’ll see what I can do.’

See what I maen, folks?

I love that he makes Abby turn away so she doesn’t’ see the secret handshake. Oh, Connor. You’re still my favorite nerd. You even beat Spencer Reid. And that’s saying something.

Abby doesn’t look too happy there, no, she does not.

Yes, Jess, chocolate gets us excited too. Especially when it’s Becker flavored. (Insert joke here about it melting in your mouth, not in your hand.)

Becker looks so amused right there, because he definitely knows what’s going on. Oh, becker, I love you. And Lester wins major points for letting Connor believe it was his own doing. Lester, Lester, Lester. We all love you, it’s okay. You don’t have to pretend that you don’t care about your little team of rogue scientists.

“Blimey, I should get angry more often.”

That’s fine with me. Let’s make it a once an episode deal, eh?

Becker gives Connor a high five.

And Chelsea gets to watch the new episode (episode 3.3). Chelsea being me. Every single time.

(In case you were wondering if I randomly change names on some days. Because I don’t.)

6 comments:

  1. >And the poor animals being locked up in the cages like that. Somebody needs to send those babies back home.
    but until someone figures out how to do that...

    Jess has four phones? in her flat or at her computer in the ARC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Rodlox: in her flat. You can see them on her table when Connor is looking around. They're vintage-looking and spell out J, E, S, S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rodlox & @ Anonymous - which obviously means she's a phone sex operator. Just saying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. “Why let something like erectile dysfunction get in your way?”

    I don’t know. Why don’t we ask Gideon?

    Gideon needs to seek help for an erection lasting more than four hours.

    (First person to write a fic about that gets a virtual gold star.)

    (Kidding. Maybe.)

    (Points if you mention plants.)


    I seriously just laughed so hard I cried. Brilliant. :)

    Also YES on Mansfield for Bond. Make it so, numbah one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, watching this four times and I’d always thought the guy was welding while dead. Yeah, don’t ask.

    You know something I thought that too, when he took his mask off I thought the same thing it was the look on his face.

    Love the review, I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason Flemyng for Bond. Just look at him in his tux in season 3, episode 6, and you'll know why.

    ReplyDelete